Gold filled is an actual layer of gold pressure bonded to another metal such as jewelers' brass. It’s not to be confused with gold plating as filled literally has 100% more gold than gold plating. Gold filled is much more valuable and tarnish resistant if taken care of properly. Most people who can wear gold can wear gold-filled without worries of any allergic reaction to the jewelry. Gold filled and vermeil products are amazing, quality alternatives that is affordable. It will not flake, peel or wear off, and with reasonable care, it should last a lifetime. It's the economical way of enjoying the luster of gold without putting a dent in your wallet.
Sterling silver can be cleaned with silver cleaner and any silver polish. We highly recommend keeping your silver pieces in little baggies so it will prevent it from oxidizing fast.
Tips to make it last
- Humidity is the enemy; keep it dry! Store your goodies individually in the air-tight plastic baggie included with your chain necklace.
- Avoid rough wear to slow down the natural process of “wear and tear”.
- Perfume, hairspray & other types of lotion may contain harsh chemicals that can tarnish your jewelry overtime.
- For extra care, gently wipe each piece of jewelry clean of any products and skin oils with a soft jewelry polishing cloth.
- Never use abrasive products to clean your jewelry. They can damage gold plating irreparably. Use soap and water as a mild cleaner.
To maintain the beauty of your jewelry, whether it is gold filled or solid gold, salt water, chlorine (swimming pools) and all heavy detergents and cleaning agents should be avoided.